Can a parent file Hague Convention child abduction proceedings for the return of his/her children overseas, if he or she is actually in Israel himself/herself?

Yes! The parent initiating the proceedings does not have to be physically present in the alleged country of habitual residence, but can actually be present in Israel, at the time of filing, although this is rare.

In 2012 our legal practice successfully represented a father in Hague convention proceedings for the return of 3 children to the USA even though he was in Israel at the time of filing, unsuccessfully trying to persuade the mother to return the children voluntarily (wrongful retention - File 5134-05-12- Tel Aviv Family court ).

In 2014 our legal practice initiated Hague proceedings on behalf of a mother, for the return of 2 minors, whom she claimed were wrongfully retained in Israel, to the USA. Again the mother was present in Israel at the time. This case (File 40036-04-14- Krayot Family Court) resulted in a comprehensive negotiated settlement which included divorce and return/relocation of the minors to the USA with their mother, with visitation and contact arrangements for the father.
Abduction To Israel